Cholesterol is a waxy, fat-like molecule produced by your liver. It's necessary for cell membrane creation, vitamin D production, and the production of some hormones. Cholesterol is a lipid that can not dissolve in water and hence cannot go through the body on its own.
Lipoproteins are small particles that help in the transfer of cholesterol through the bloodstream. Lipoproteins are divided into two types.
Low-density lipoproteins (LDL)
LDL is also known as "Bad Cholesterol" it can clog arteries and cause significant health issues such as heart attack or stroke. Cholesterol plaque is another name for accumulation.
Plaque can restrict your arteries, reduce blood flow, and increase your risk of blood clots. A heart attack or stroke can occur when a blood clot blocks an artery in your heart or brain.
- Over one-third of American adults, according to the Centers for Disease Control and PreventionTrusted Source, have high LDL cholesterol levels.
- High-density lipoproteins ( HDL ) - HDL is also known as “Good Cholesterol” helps to return the LDL back to the liver so that it can be eliminated. A healthy level of HDL can reduce the risk of blood clots, heart disease, and stroke.
Symptoms of High Cholesterol
- Most of the time high cholesterol doesn’t show any symptoms, it only causes emergency fatal events like a heart attack or stroke.
- These incidents usually don't happen until excessive cholesterol causes plaque to build in your arteries. Plaque can cause arteries to constrict, allowing less blood to pass through. Plaque affects the composition of the lining of your arteries. This could result in dire consequences.
- You can have your cholesterol level checked on a continuous basis if you have a family history of high cholesterol or you have.
- High blood pressure
Is heartburn common in people?
Heartburn is a prevalent problem among patients. However, if the patient has severe heartburn, it could be a sign of Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), which is a chronic acid flux disorder. Consult with a doctor if you've been diagnosed with the same problem.
Heartburn caused by cholesterol is a very common condition experienced by patients who are overweight. Taking too much stress, having your food just before sleep can be some lifestyle habits that can cause heartburn for some people.
As a result, heartburn caused by a cholesterol-rich diet is a cause of these disorders. Aside from that, there are a number of medical disorders that can cause acid reflux and heartburn.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) - GERD occurs when acid from the stomach runs back into the tube that connects your mouth and stomach on a regular basis (oesophagus). This backwash (acid reflux) might irritate your oesophagal lining.
- Hiatal Hernia - It is a condition in which part of the stomach pushes up through the diaphragm muscle. You may have a strangulated hernia or an obstruction if you have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and are experiencing nausea, vomiting, inability to have a bowel movement, or pass gas. These are life-threatening situations.
- A hiatus hernia occurs when a portion of the stomach protrudes into the chest cavity. It enters through the same entrance through which the food tube (oesophagus) travels to the stomach.
- Most of the time Hiatus hernia has no symptoms, you can experience heartburn or abdominal discomfort.
- Hiatus hernia generally needs no treatments but in some cases, with the help of medication or surgery, it is treated in extreme conditions.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs like Aspirin
Is Heartburn a Symptom of High Cholesterol?
Gallstones, often known as gallbladder disease, affect roughly 80% of the population. The remaining 20% may feel excruciating discomfort, sometimes known as a "gallbladder attack," which generally occurs after having a fatty meal.
Most of the time symptoms of Gallstones can be mistaken for heartburn as it is a more common phenomenon to us. But the conditions are different from each other.
Gallstones Symptoms are
- Upper abdominal pain develops quickly and lasts anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.
- Nausea or vomiting
- A buildup of gas in the stomach and intestines.
- Not able to tolerate fatty foods.
- Experiencing indigestion
- Pain in the back between the shoulder blades.
- Pain under the right shoulder
- Low fever
- Clay-colored stool
If you are experiencing the above symptoms you should go see a doctor. Your doctor might advise you to go for a liver check and an abdominal ultrasound.