What is Laparoscopic fundoplication?
Fundoplication is surgery to fix gastric reflux (GERD). Laparoscopic fundoplication is a minimally invasive procedure that treats patients suffering from severe acid reflux, symptomatic hiatus hernias, and Barrett’s esophagus who do not respond to medication or are unable to take medications for other reasons.
The surgery keeps stomach acid from flowing backward into the esophagus. Although the procedure is usually performed laparoscopically, the doctor may opt for open surgery on some occasions.
For the best outcome, you should get this surgery done from an experienced surgeon like Dr. Samrat Jankar an expert in laparoscopic fundoplication in Pune.
Dr. Samrat Jankar is one of the best gastroenterologist in Pune and advanced laparoscopic surgeon, having profound knowledge and training in gastroenterology and gastrointestinal surgery, GI cancer surgery, advanced laparoscopic surgery, colorectal surgery, and abdominal wall reconstruction (complex hernia) surgery.
Who is the right candidate for laparoscopic fundoplication?
Dr. Samrat Jankar will recommend laparoscopic fundoplication only after you have tried other treatment options to control your GERD symptoms, such as:
- Losing weight if you are obese or overweight
- Avoiding food that triggers reflux
- Taking medications that manage GERD and help strengthen the esophagus or stomach muscles
Procedure for laparoscopic fundoplication in Pune
During laparoscopic fundoplication, Dr. Samrat Jankar, is one of the best gastroenterologist in Pune, makes small incisions in the abdomen through which he inserts the laparoscope and working surgical instruments. He operates while observing the inside of the belly on a video monitor.
Dr. Samrat Jankar wraps the fundus, the top of the stomach, around the bottom of the esophagus during surgery. It repairs the valve at the end of the esophagus, which is not working correctly in GERD patients. The surgery prevents and cures all reflux content, including digestive enzymes and acid. The doctor will fix the hiatal hernia at the same time if present.
Recovery after laparoscopic fundoplication in Pune
You will have to stay for one or two day in the hospital. There will be food restrictions for few weeks after the surgery. You will have to eat soft food while the esophagus heals. Dr. Samrat Jankar will provide dietary advice before you leave the hospital.
What are the results of laparoscopic fundoplication?
The results of laparoscopic fundoplication are excellent if performed by an experienced surgeon like Dr. Samrat Jankar.
- Surgery improves the quality of life.
- In a significant percentage of patients, GERD-related symptoms improve after surgery.
- The majority of patients can wean themselves off of acid-suppressing drugs.
What are the complications of the laparoscopic fundoplication procedure?
Following are the complication of laparoscopic fundoplication:
- Injury to the walls and lining of your stomach, esophagus, or tissues around your lungs during the procedure
- Nausea and gagging
- Unable to throw up when needed
- Reflux continues
- Abdominal bloating
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Need of follow-up surgery
Cost of laparoscopic fundoplication in Pune?
Laparoscopic fundoplication cost may range any where from 85K to 1.50lacks. cost may vary depending on patient health condition, need of mesh repair or opted luxury facilities in hospital by patient and relative.
Tips to minimize symptoms and chances of a second surgery
- Eat a GERD-friendly diet and avoid foods that can aggravate the symptoms
- Have 6-8 small meals throughout the day
- Elevate your head while sleeping to keep the stomach acid from entering the esophagus
- Minimize or stop caffeine, alcohol, and smoking.
- Workout to stay fit and maintain a healthy weight.